Bare Naked Banjos
2000 - Dan plays 24 solo banjo tunes, played using four different banjos. No vocals.
- Dan Levenson, banjo
Track list (with key and banjo tuning)
- Katy Hill - G (gDGBD)
- Logan County - D (aDADE)
- Little Billie Wilson - A (aEAC#E)
- Dr. Dr. - D (aDADE)
- Texas Gals - C (gCGCD)
- Forked Deer - D (aDADE)
- Staten Island - Low G (dGDGA)
- Liza Poor Gal - D (aDADE)
- Johnny Don’t Get Drunk - D (aDADE)
- Rocky Pallet - C (gCGCD)
- Needlecase - D (aDADE)
- Old Bell Cow - A (aEAC#E)
- Fortune - D (aDADE)
- Old Molly Hare/Rag Time Annie - Low G (dGDGA)
- Soldiers’ Joy - D (aDADE)
- Billy in the Low Ground - C (gCGCD)
- Joke on the Puppy (Wry Straw) - D (aDADE)
- Breaking Up Christmas - A (aEAC#E)
- Whiskey Before Breakfast - D (aDADE)
- Hangman’s Reel - C (gCGCD)
- Duck River - D (aDADE)
- Flying Indian - G (gDGBD)
- June Apple - A (aEAC#E)
- Wild Horses at Stony Point - G (gDGBD)
- 1999 Vega Tubaphone #2, by Deering
- 1915 Vega pot with a Kevin Enoch neck
- 1990 Minstrel banjo built by Bob Flescher
- 1996 Deering Goodtime, with Fyberskin head and no-knot tailpiece.
The album was recorded by Wes Linenkugel at his home studio in Toledo, Ohio on April 26 & 27, 2000. All of the tunes were played live to a Tascam DA-30 DAT and appear without any cuts, edits, or punch-ins.
The mic used was an Audio-Technica 4050 set about one foot from the head. A minimum of “presence” was added, but no other effects in order to maintain a natural sound. The same set-up was used for recording all four banjos on this album.
Preview the tracks and buy direct from CD Baby with this link.